June 11, 2013
Shopping around for something you’ve never bought before can quickly become overwhelming.
To save yourself a ton of searching, we put together this simple 3 step process for shopping for the programmable thermostat that’s perfect for your lifestyle.
Step 1) Find a compatible thermostat
It’s tempting to start shopping based on features first, but hold on! You must make sure whatever thermostat you end up purchasing works with your existing heating and air conditioning equipment.
Take note of the brand and model of your air conditioner and heater and check to make sure any thermostats that interest you will work with your unit.
Step 2) Choose the model that fits your lifestyle
Once you got the right brand, it’s time to look at the scheduling options you want. There are three models you can pick from based on how much control you want over your programmable thermostat.
- 5+2-day model: Least flexible model. Set 2 schedules: one for the weekdays and one for the weekend.
- 5-1-1-day model: Slightly more flexible than 5+2. Set three schedules: one for the weekdays, one for Saturday, and another for Sunday (great for those of you who have Church or a similar Sunday-only weekly event.
- 7-day-model: Most flexible model. Set a schedule for every day of the week. This is the perfect option for those of you who have irregular work weeks.
The more flexible the model, the more expensive it is.
3) Get the fabulous features you want
OK now you can start checking out the fun features programmable thermostats have to offer.
Below are the most common features:
- Remote Programming and Controls: Control your thermostat as you lay comfortably on the couch or your bed. Some models even work with your smartphone and can control your thermostat no matter where you are---at home or away!
- Keyboard Lock: Keep your kids from messing with the settings with this feature.
- Vacation Mode: Like to head out of town for some fun and relaxation? Use at the press of a button, use this feature to cool and heat your home for maximum money savings you return with the push of a button.
- Touch Screen Controls: If you enjoy using a smartphone-like interface, many programmable thermostats have their own with easy-to-use touch controls.
- Backlit Display Panel: Make it easy to change your thermostat in the middle of the night with bright backlit panels. Also helpful for those with bad eyes.
- Indicator Alerts: Never guess when you need a new filter or the thermostats battery is low. Let the thermostat tell you.
- Battery Operation and Backup: Ideal for older homes where the required wiring may not be readily available. For properly wired homes, a battery backup system eliminates the need to reprogram thermostats after a power failure.
Get maximum savings from your programmable thermostat
No matter how neat programmable thermostats are, they won’t save you the money they promise unless you program them right.
When you get a programmable thermostat from Cool Today, we not only install it for you, but teach you how to program it to get maximum savings.
If you need help programming your current programmable thermostat, you can ask one of our experts.
If you’re interested in a new one for your Sarasota-area home, contact us today.
Posted in: Buyer's Guide